This is a rare piece of activism from me, however I find it extremely necessary. On November 25, the Foxboro, MA Board of Health will be voting on whether to adopt new and unprecedented town regulations of raw milk.
These new regulations would likely put this Lawton’s Family Farm, a small family-run farm, out of business. The proposed measures would lower the allowable bacteria to levels lower than that legally allowed for pasteurized milk, and give authority to the town’s Board of Health to shut the farm down for up to a month or longer and giving them alone the authority to re-open the farm. Currently, the State has authority to shut the farm down only until a sample comes back with the current allowable bacteria levels.
The state of MA, no town has ever taken over this role from the state, as it is completely and utterly unnecessary. These major changes transfers power to extremely anti-raw-milk authorities without need and will essentially shut the farm down and prevent access to this high quality health food.
Now is the time to act! Read these proposed guidelines for more details, and then do the following:
- Take the time to send letters and emails and PLEASE send copies to the farm or drop your copies off there
- PLEASE be sure to send the farm copies as they do not trust our agent to pass them along to her board members
- When writing your letters, please explain your rights to choose what you put in your body, the benefits of raw milk, and also include if you are a professional ( nutritionist, doctor, nurse, scientist , wellness person for added emphasis) and all others : your educated and researched choices
- Foxboro Residents: Please send letters to the Editor of the Foxboro Reporter as to your confidence in the State Dept of Agriculture to regulate raw milk as well as the health benefits you receive from drinking raw milk.
- Your efforts need to be in the paper before 11/25/13.
- There is a public hearing on November 25 at 7:45 in the McGinty room of the Public Safety Building(which is located at the end of North St away from Route 1) WE NEED YOU THERE TO SPEAK OR JUST YOUR PRESENCE FOR SUPPORT IN RAW MILK
OR hard copy: Foxborough Board of Health, Pauline Clifford
40 South St, Foxboro, MA 02035
Cc: Terri, Ed or Nancy Lawton 70 North St Foxboro, MA 02035 or drop off at stand